A digital rendering of the new Kearney SportsPlex.
By Jacob Svoboda – Senior Project Manager | Greater Nebraska
Commonwealth Electric’s team in Kearney, NE, was recently awarded the new Kearney SportsPlex by MCL Construction.
- This project is a 209,000-square-foot facility with:
- Eight basketball courts with the ability to be converted into volleyball courts or 20 wrestling mats.
- Bleachers for 3,000 people.
- A 66,000-square-foot area of turf space designed for different arrangements of soccer fields.
- Three net batting cages.
- Four dedicated pickleball courts.
- A 300+ meter, full radius, elevated three-lane running/walking track.
Commonwealth is providing electrical work, low-voltage communications systems, fire alarms, security cameras, access controls, public address systems, and audio/visual capabilities.
General Foreman Preston Skalka is working directly with MCL each day and coordinating with all other trades on site. Commonwealth’s Central Engineering department is providing Building Information Modeling (BIM) coordination on the scope of work.
The project is scheduled to be completed in December 2024. If you are traveling West on I-80, be sure to look to the north right after you pass the Kearney exit to see the Commonwealth team in action!
L to R: Preston Skalka, Cole Lewis, Clay Goodwin.